Call Us Today! Toll Free: 866-725-7751 (North America Only) Telephone: 905-305-0094 (local and overseas)

PSA technology

What Is PSA Technology and How Does It Work in PSA Nitrogen Generators?

Onsite PSA (Pressure Swing Adsorption) nitrogen generators are a great cost savings opportunity to any business or organization that relies heavily on steady uninterrupted nitrogen production for their operations. Here’s what you need to know about PSA technology and how it works.

Understanding the Characteristics of Nitrogen Molecules

Approximately 79% of the air we breathe is composed of nitrogen gas and the remaining 21% is made up of oxygen.

One of the main distinctive and definitive characteristics of nitrogen gas that distinguishes it from other gases is that it moves in ultra-slow motion and the molecules are significantly larger compared to other molecules such as oxygen molecules. Nitrogen molecules larger size makes them easy to separate from oxygen using PSA technology.

Separation in a CMS Bed

PSA nitrogen generators essentially act as a filtration system that separates and filters out oxygen. The nitrogen process gas stream can then be used for various industrial applications such as MAP for food and beverage production, laser cutting, tank blanketing of volatile materials and so much more.

PSA type nitrogen generators have two pressure vessels that are filled with a material called carbon molecular sieve or CMS. CMS is a very porous material with the ability to adsorb under pressure right down to the molecular level. To produce nitrogen, a compressed air stream is passed through a pressure vessel filled with CMS. The porosity structure of CMS allows the material to capture and adsorb the smaller oxygen molecules as the compressed air flows through. This leaves a stream of nitrogen to flow out the opposite end of the pressure vessel.

Transition to Surge Tank

The next step of the process involves transitioning the separated nitrogen molecules into a separate nitrogen buffer tank until the buffer tank is pressurized. The nitrogen stored in the nitrogen buffer storage tank can then flow to whatever process requires the nitrogen gas.

High Purity Delivery

PSA technology is capable of producing nitrogen gas at various purities ranging from 95% to 99.999%+. The primary objective of using PSA technology to generate nitrogen is to select the required nitrogen purity for a specific application. This allows for far more cost effective nitrogen production.

Organizations that use nitrogen gas and are looking to lower production costs and lower their carbon footprint can benefit greatly from installing onsite PSA nitrogen generators. An investment in a PSA nitrogen generator typically yields a fast return on investment, usually anywhere for 6 months to 18 months. The ability to generate your own nitrogen also means never having to rely on outside suppliers to deliver it to you, which reduces the risk of delivery delays and lowers carbon emissions.

Onsite PSA Nitrogen Generators from Advanced Gas Technologies

When it comes to reliable and affordable industrial nitrogen generators for your organization, there’s only one name you should trust: Advanced Gas Technologies. In addition to designing, manufacturing, and delivering state of the art PSA and membrane nitrogen generators, we also provide complete installation and maintenance services. Contact us today to learn more.

request a quote

Request a Quote

Let our experts provide you a detailed quote for your project today!

Nitrogen | Oxygen | Compressors

use equipment

Used Equipment

Looking for a deal, cheak out our stock of used equipment.

Used Equipment for Sale

 

ask an expert

Ask an Expert

Have a question you're unsure about or need an expert opinion, ask us!

Ask an Expert